Tuesday, February 3, 2015

GEO. G. BORUM….My Dear Ol Dad  (1913-2012)

Dad was an amazing person!  So much talent!  He was always an OVER-ACHIEVER.  From the time he was 12, he was a sign painter…and a damn good one!  But, that was just the tip of the iceberg.  He later studied ornamental penmanship and became an acknowledged world class penman. He went to auction school and ended up as an instructor at Reppert’s School of Auctioneering for a decade.  He operated a printshop for about 10 years. 


He was a historian of the old west and steam boating, that lead him to make over 100 museum quality steam boat models (from 2’ to 12 feet long).  He operated steamboat museums in Missouri and Illinois.  He made over 100 miniature outhouses (averaging 20" tall), published a book on outhouses and was elected to the "Outhouse Hall of Fame".  He was a chalk talk artist, a parade float builder, a tramp art wood carver ……..and on and on and on!  He made hundreds of carved walking sticks, wooden axes, and boomerangs.  


This year, on this new website, I’ll be posting lots of photos of his work…some of the items will be for sale…some not.



He was the most influential person in my life. Dad always made me look at the world in a different way than other folks. He always said: “the three Golden Words of Success were: observe, compare and remember”  He told me to look around and see things that other people didn’t see….and to do things a little different than other people.  I’ve always tried to do that……it may not have made me a “success” but, I’m very happy with my life.  I know that material “things” don’t count as much as personal satisfaction.   I’m satisfied and happy with my life.  I am so very thankful for every life lesson that Dad drilled into me, starting at a very young age.


Here's a picture of Dad at age 98....we lost him at 99-1/2.  
You'll learn more about Dad in future posts here.

Keep Checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment